Reading the book, “You Are Not Your Pain,” prompted me to begin this 8-week journey of trying to manage my chronic pain condition through Mindfulness and Meditation.
I successfully completed the three required activities for Week One.
1. Twice Daily 10-Minute Body Scan Meditations
I had a difficult time staying fully aware of my breath as it flowed through different parts of my body during the meditations. But after several days, when I experienced emotional or physical pain; I breathed deeply, became aware, and acknowledged the pain with compassion and kindness.
2. Spend A Little Time with Nature, Daily
With temperatures in Orlando reaching the high 90s, I wasn’t able to spend time with nature in the way I had planned —
- walks through our local botanical garden; and
- sitting quietly by the lake in one of our beautiful county parks.
Upon learning that I was, virtually, housebound because of the summer heat in Florida, imaniking, creator of Freedom Friday, sent me an online portfolio of her beautiful nature photos to view.
3. SPEND ONE HOUR WITH NATURE ON ONE DAY
I spent two hours with nature everyday last week:
- Meditating, Conscious Breathing and Being Still, daily, for one hour, before daybreak, while in the presence of nature’s singing birds and rustling tree leaves.
- Water Exercising, daily, for one hour, periodically, looking upward at the changing colors of the sky and the ever-moving and billowing clouds.
After completing Week One, I now know that my pain:
- is fluid rather than solid; and
- should be timely welcomed and accepted with compassion and kindness.
Knowing this has enabled me to better manage and control my pain levels.
I am excited about beginning Week Two and can’t wait to share another new learning experience with you. Back next Friday.